Tuesday, June 03, 2008

embellishment:

You were hungry, you explained. So hungry, and I came at just the right moment
with a box stocked full of tantilizing treats.
You nearly grabbed the box
from my hands
your skin skimming my own
in your frantic sedentary beline for calories.
Filling a void, again and again,
I've watched you try to close the emptiness.
Your eyes dug into mine,
steady aqua shoving against yellow-green.
I wanted your hunger--
I wanted you to admit your hunger.
I am perceptive, you know this,
and we stalk the white elephant in the room
tripping into lines of vision, sprawling
into purposefully ignorant stares.
Tonight I will drink to the chance,
to the cinematic daydream of us,
to the I can see that murmur from our friend,
to the way you drove your gaze into me this afternoon,
to the off-handed smiles and spin-cycle flushes,
to the delerium brought on by your everything,
to how I anger you, and how you frustrate me,
and I will drink to the drink I hand you
in wind-tossed hope and pure,
heart-seizing possibility.

No comments: